Congressional Transparency Caucus Formed
Government Executive’s Elizabeth Newell writes that a bipartisan congressional Transparency Caucus has been formed. Led by Republican Representative Darrell Issa (CA) and Democratic Representative Michael Quigley (IL), the Caucus will advocate greater government transparency and provide support and oversight of government efforts.
A written set of principles that will guide their effort asserts that the American people have a right to:
- Public access to all of their government’s information.
- Analyze their government’s information.
- Interactive access to federal laws.
- Track all federal spending and scrutinize the federal budget.
- Demand objective, transparent performance standards for all federal agencies.
- Aggressive, independent oversight.
In addition, the Caucus says there is a need to institutionalize a culture of open government.